Friday, November 2, 2012

5 Minute Prep Artisan No Knead Bread! Add Sliced Garlic for Wonderful Flavor!!

I'm not usually a bread maker but when I saw a pin from simplysogood's blog on pinterest I had to try it. It really is as easy as it sounds. You stir up the 4 ingredents at night and bake the bread the next day.



3 Cups Bread Flour, but use Unbleached All Purpose if that is what you have.
1 3/4 Tsp of Salt
1/2 Tsp Dry Active Yeast
1 1/2 Cups cool to warm water.

Update 01/01/13: The most wonderful variation is to add 4 sliced garlic cloves to the dough and get Artisan Roast Garlic Bread! I made this and the pesto cheese torta (found here) and took it to a winery last Friday night, they have wine and cheese tasting and live music, you bring your own food. I baked it right before we left, wrapped it in Aluminum Foil and put it in an insulated bag. It was warm and wonderful when we spread the pesto on it and drank it with our new bottle of Pinot Gris.


Update 11/26: I made this bread and added Sharp Cheddar and Minced Garlic, these are the two extra ingredients in the photo. And I doubled the recipe to get two loaves.



Stir it together, it will be wet and sticky. Put saran wrap over the bowl and let sit 12 to 18 hours. The plastic wrap cover puffs up overnight.

















When ready to bake, turn oven to 450 degrees and put a lidded pot in the oven to preheat. I used my cast iron dutch oven for the first loaf in the first photo, you can use any lidded pot as long as the lid is oven safe, so I used two stainless steel pots for the second two cheddar loaves.





Turn the dough out onto a heavily floured board or cloth, flour your hands and shape it into a ball lightly and use lots of flour, it is really sticky dough. Cover with a cloth or the plastic wrap from the bowl and let sit for 30 min. This gives your pot the time to completely preheat. After 30 min, carefully take the pot lid off and transfer your dough to the pot, replace the lid and bake at 450 for 30 min.









Before baking

After baking




This is the cheddar garlic bread, it turns out lighter in a stainless steel pot. If you want golden brown, use a cast iron pot.






I made the single loaf (pictured below) one morning. I made up the dough after dinner at night and in the morning turned on the oven, put the pot in, turned out the dough to a floured cloth and went to take a shower. After 30 min, put the dough in the pot and it baked as I got ready for work. Took it out of the oven, let it cool for 15 min until I had to leave for work. Cut off a hunk to take to work and have with my soup for lunch, left the rest for breakfast for my teens. Believe me, they had never had fresh baked bread for breakfast before.

I'm made a double batch  the next night and added 4 cups sharp cheddar and 6 minced cloves of garlic. Remember, that is for a double batch.
On the original post from simplysogood, she has many add in combinations. Check it out. Click the link at the top of the post.



No comments: