Friday, January 18, 2013

Cleaning out the Closet once and for all! Well, 'til spring or fall...

We tend to accumulate lots of extra clothing that distracts us from what there is to wear. Don't we all feel that we have 'nothing to wear' from time to time?  Well twice a year or at least every couple of years we need to clean out the closet and take stock of what we really have. It is best to do this twice a year. 
When I clean out my closet, I take a day, get everything out of my closet, within reason and get rid of what I didn't wear over the winter or summer depending on the current season. 
First, if you are going say, from winter to spring, I pack up what I did wear over winter and get out my spring/summer clothes. 
For the items that are a bit too small, (but I plan to get into before that season is past), I think an under the bed bin is good. I want to be able to pull it out and check to see what fits when I do get on program. :)

I read an article in a fashion magazine a few years ago about how to clean out your closet and always have just the clothes you wear at your fingertips, I can list the rules.


1.Take everything out and pile it on the bed or where ever.


2. Put on your shaper or whatever you where under dressy items to try on what you haven't been wearing.


3. As you go through each piece, one by one, as yourself three questions. 


  • Do I wear this? 
  • Do I love it? 
  • Do I need it?
If the answer is No to all of these put it in the sell/consign pile. With the rest, go to #4.

4. Have a place for 3 piles. 

  • 1.Repair/clean
  • 2. Sell/consign
  • 3. Too small/too big
5. Take each piece and ask yourself the 3 questions, if it is something you do actually wear often and it's clean, put it in the closet. If you haven't worn it, why? Is is too small, does it need repair, could it fit if you had it altered? Do you really love it? If not, get rid of it. If you do really love it and would wear it if you lost the weight, put it in the #3 pile. If you could wear it with an alteration, would you really wear it? Or, do you have nothing that goes with it? Put it in pile #1.

6. Try on anything you haven't worn, this will help you decide if you should keep it.

7. Arrange what you have put back in the closet, (only things that fit, that you have worn or could wear today) into like items, shirts, skirts, dresses, even separate work from casual shirts. This works better for me than going with colors, although I have never tried that.


8. Tackle each pile, #1Repair/Clean/Match, If you can't repair it yourself, ask at the cleaners, or friends or check craigslist for someone who does alterations in your area. If the items has nothing to match it, go through your closet and see if you can find something that goes with it, if not, make a note to shop for that. Even pin a note to it and put a note in your handbag for the next time you go shopping to find something that will go with it. Clean the things that need to be cleaned, but ask yourself the questions before you put it back in the closet. Pile #2 Sell/Consign, if you are into selling things yourself, take picks, 'lots' sell well on ebay, but you have the trouble of shipping it. Put the pic on Craigslist and try to sell it as one Lot, have or put it in a friends garage sale, donate it to a worthy charity, or take it to a resale shop. Pile #3 Too Small/Big, really think about each piece, do you love it, will you wear it if you get back into it? Could you alter it and wear it now? My daughter got the idea from a Magazine to cut off the bottom of a dress you not longer wear if it will work as a top. But, if you do keep it, make sure it is worth storing, put it in a bin that will be easy to access and label it with the size inside. I have only been allowing myself to keep two sizes smaller. Sometimes a smaller friend could use your clothes and it gives you almost the same satisfaction to see someone else wearing something that you love. :)
Not to mention the excuse to buy the perfect item to complete your newly cleaned out wardrobe!

No comments: